How to get to Wigan
Ideally located on road, bus, rail and air networks in the North West of England, Wigan Borough boasts excellent transport links, making it an easy place to travel to and around.
Wigan Borough is easily accessible by both the M6 and the East Lancashire Road (A580). Other local motorways include M61, M62 and M58.
- M6 - Spanning over 230 miles between the midlands and the Scottish boarders, the M6 motorway travels through the borough: Junction 23 - A580 East Lancashire Road, Junction 24 (south bound) - Ashton, A58, Junction 25 (north bound) - Wigan, A49
- A580 - Linking Liverpool to Salford (3 miles outside Manchester City Centre), the A580 is located on the south side of the borough visiting Lowton, Golborne, Leigh, Tyldesley and Mossley Common
- Car parks - There are plenty of car parks to choose from around the borough, with all council owned car parks offering free weekend parking in Wigan and Leigh Town Centres until further notice.
Plan your visit by road
Wigan borough serves both local and main line networks. Wigan Town Centre has two train stations, located 100m of each other:
- Wigan North Western (external link) - On the West Coast Mainline serving stations between London Euston, Birmingham, The Lakes and Glasgow. Local destinations include Warrington and Preston
- Wigan Wallgate (external link) - The local line links the borough to Preston, Kirby, Southport, Manchester, Liverpool, Blackpool and Leeds.
The borough has many other train stations including Appley Bridge (external link), Atherton (external link), Bryn (external link), Gathurst (external link), Hindley (external link), Ince (external link), Pemberton (external link), Orrell (external link).
To plan your rail journey visit National Rail (external link) or Trainline (external link). Visit Northern Rail to view the northern network map (external link).
Plan your visit by rail
Wigan Borough has a great bus network, linking local and surrounding areas together. In the south side of the borough you’ll also find the guided bus way (external link) that connects Leigh, Atherton and Tyldesley to Salford and Manchester City Centre. Part of this journey boasts a 4.5 mile traffic free bus way with limited stops, so you’ll get to where you need to be in no time at all.
Plan your visit by bus